Position Type: Contract To Direct
Title: Naval Technical Writer
Pay Range: Open – Negotiable
In this role, you will serve as a member of our technical writing team in the development of Hull, Mechanical, Electrical (H, M&E) and Electronics system and equipment manuals for newly-constructed and in-service USN Landing Craft.
- Develop and revise Operator and Maintenance manuals using SGML, XML and MS Word Authoring using Government-Sponsored or in-house publishing tools.
- Create red-line marks-ups of existing documentation as required to incorporate Engineering Changes, Technical Manual Deficiency Evaluation Reports (TMDER) and review comments into technical manuals. Update graphics and text regarding general information, operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and Illustrated Part Breakdown (IPB).
- Perform Quality Assurance (QA) for changes and to all updated documentation.
- Review design drawings, engineering packages and Craft Alterations to determine the effect on SSC technical manuals.
- Participate in on-site technical manual validations aboard LCAC and LCAC 100 as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE/REQUIREMENTS:
A minimum of five year’s professional experience is preferred. A technical background with ship or craft systems is required.
Strong organizational, problem-solving, and multi-tasking skills, Strong initiative and commitment to deadlines. Above average writing and computer skills.
Technical publications writing, editing, and publishing experience is required. Military and/or Department of Defense experience is a plus.
Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) or equivalent experience is preferred.
Aptitude/knowledge in Document Type Definition (DTD), Style Guides and S1000D authoring is preferred.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, Well organized and flexible.
Ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast-paced environment, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism.
Strong decision-making ability and attention to detail.
High School Diploma minimum (Technical Degree a plus)
Must be willing to travel approximately 10% of the time.
U.S. Citizenship/Ability to obtain a SECRET security clearance.