Position Type: Direct Placement
Title: Payroll & Benefit Specialist
Pay Range: Open – Negotiable
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for processing payroll on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
They will also verify accuracy of all insurance deductions and billing, maintain benefit plans in the HR/Payroll system, and is responsible for ensuring compliance with required federal, state, and local laws, benefit notices, data integrity, and keeping employee information confidential.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implements, maintains, and reviews multi-state payroll processing and accounting systems to ensure timely and accurate preparing, processing, reporting, and auditing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Knowledge and understanding of current payroll, wage, labor, and benefit laws and regulations at federal, state, and local levels; ensures regulatory compliance including filing bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll tax liabilities.
- Ensures timely and accurate information/updates in the payroll system including new hires, terminations, hourly pay rate changes, salaries, commissions, bonuses or other compensation, time worked, paid leave and holidays, deductions and withholding, address changes, and other information.
- Ensures accurate and timely tracking and compliance of company pay and benefit policies, including paid time off, and time and attendance.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of employee and payroll records.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll accounting software, systems, and procedures.
- Reconciles payroll to the general ledger and monthly bank statements.
- Issues, or reissues, physical or replacement checks or direct deposits due to payroll errors or final discharge.
- Records and processes federal and state payroll tax deposits.
- Review and audit payroll records for accuracy; responsible for annual W2 distribution and ACA compliance.
- Responsible for benefits open enrollment process in ADP, ensuring renewal benefit plans are accurately set up, and confirming accuracy of employee enrollments.
- Maintain employee benefits filing systems and ensure benefits changes are entered appropriately in payroll system for accurate payroll deduction.
- Verify the calculation of the monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies and maintain statistical data relative to premiums, claims and costs.
- Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Review and respond in a timely manner to unemployment claims with appropriate documentation.
- Review monthly unemployment statements.
- Responsible for completing annual benefit and worker’s compensation audits.
- Assist HR manager in obtaining statistics and information in renewal process of any company benefit plans.
- Assist HR manager in completing benefits reporting requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field required.
- Three to five years of related experience required.
- Extensive knowledge of payroll functions including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with keen attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficient with ADP payroll software a plus.
- Knowledge of employee benefits and applicable laws.