Position Type: Direct Placement
Title: Planning Manager
Pay Range: Open – Negotiable
Planning Manager help oversee and perform key Planning and Scheduling activities for our client location and may facilitate Planning and Scheduling activities for multiple locations.
This typically involves supporting multiple programs, and the role also leads training, onboarding, and quality checks to promote best practices.
The Planning Manager will fulfill the role of planner and/or scheduler for certain projects depending on size, scope and complexity.
The Planning Manager must exemplify excellent organization, resource, and time management.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills, problem-solving and analytical abilities, and leadership initiative will all be needed to succeed in this role.
Planning Managers and their team members form an integral part of the Project Management Organization (PMO) supporting customer base.
- Understand the planning process and (work package and cost tracking) requirements by contract and customer and work to stand up supporting processes as needed.
- Define a work breakdown structure (work packages) for budget and cost tracking in alignment with the program manager and larger PMO team.
- Understand the scheduling requirements by contract (with the appropriate Project or Program Manager) and customer. Work with the project functional leads to support scheduling/planning needs by role (engineering, production, quality, procurement, etc.)
- Understand the standard project lifecycle, work breakdown structure, EVMS principles, the roles and interactions across different functional stakeholders (supply chain, engineering, program management, production) and have a clear awareness of contractual requirements and scope definition.
- Support reporting requirements internally to Program Management and Senior Management on planning and scheduling strategy, key activities, issues, and opportunities.
- Support reporting requirements externally with Program Management to align customer with status or to meet contractual requirements.
- Work with location General Managers on manning requirements to support scheduled contractual obligations.
- Ad hoc analysis, proposal support, and special projects may also be assigned outside of standard contractual planning and execution.
The Planning Manager is responsible for overseeing the execution of Planning and Scheduling tasks in support of major contracts and programs; thus, the Planning Manager will have direct oversight of any planning and scheduling staff within their locations and/or programs.
Education and/or Experience :
- 2 to 5 years of management experience overseeing planning/scheduling, resource organization, or equivalent processes.
- Familiarity/experience with understanding and monitoring project schedules, financials, and deliverables is required.
- Resource management on DoD programs.
- Manufacturing/construction industry experience.
- Maritime industry experience preferred.
- Communicate effectively with both internal stakeholders and external customers, both in written and oral form.
- Effectually present information, write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond professionally to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Microsoft Excel – Minimum of 2 years of experience
- Microsoft – Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, and Teams.
- Oracle – Primavera P6
- Additional experience with any of the following software is a plus:
- Autodesk – DWG TrueView and Navisworks.
- Microsoft Power Apps
- Microsoft Visio
- Any other enterprise scheduling software solutions